As the Snow begins to fall and schools close - how do we ensure our childrens education is not interrupted?
Effective use of a school learning platforms can keep much of the normal school activity going. Teachers can set work online and post resources so that parents can more easily support homework. Pupils can upload work to their teachers and use messaging and forum tools to ask them questions. The forum tools and messagingfacilities enablea class or the whole school todiscuss and collaborate on different together. Many of the schools also use their platforms to set for extra-curricular activity and fun learning challenges. Many of our schools also use online subscription services to suport creative leraning and provide challenging activties. Ask your school what is available for pupils at home.
There are a few Key questions you need to consider:
· Are parents aware of the schools learning platform and can find it easily?
· Are parents aware that school work as well notices will be posted?
· Do all pupils have logins? – And do parents know this?
· Have teachers set expectations with pupils to log in and use pre prepared activities ( have you shown them at school how to access it?)
· Do Teachers have logins to post work home learning ideas or links to activities on web sites?
· Do teachers set specific work for pupils to complete at home:
o Set up a forums to post snow activities, support a literacy activity, share poems, descriptions, story openings or setting science investigations or maths activities,
o Create a fun quiz to assess this terms learning in science or maths or do an internet treasure hunt to support their work
o Create a class Blog to share what is going on at home, encourage pupils to post photos ( remember to resize pics put links to support- http://www.school-portal.co.uk/GroupHomepage.asp?GroupId=533727– from Philip at Radstock)
o All Primary schools have 2Simple Purple Mash: Suggest an aptivity in Purple Mash- can you guide them to a specific task? http://clc2.uniservity.com/Grouphomepage.asp?GroupId=153269here is a great video guide to on how access it from a school in Warrington
o Most Primary schools have Education City – suggest activities or create a My City to give them specific tasks related to current curriculum.