The school opened in 1949 and was later officially opened by Alderman Geoffrey Field, who had served as Vice-Chairman of the Education Committee.
The school is sited in extensive and attractive grounds, which come to life in the spring and autumn. We have two garden areas which the children tend and a wildlife area with pond - all established by staff and children.
The building itself is large and airy with eight teaching areas, including the purpose built Nursery Class. Also there is a large, well resourced hall where assemblies, Christmas concerts and P.E. all take place. We have a separate dining room.
We have received:
· An outstanding Ofsted Grade in 2008
· The Healthy Schools Award
· The Basic Skills Quality Mark
· The School Achievement Award (2003)
· Investors in People since 1995
· Active Mark 2007 and 2008
The school is part of the Whitley Excellence Cluster (WEC) and supports ASPIRE2.