Our school celebrated its centenary in 2006. In preparation for this we researched the history of Wescott School. If you have any information about any part of the school's history please contact the Head Teacher.
Originally a National School it was founded in 1825 and located in Rose Street Wokingham behind numbers 9-11. In 1901the population of the town has increased three-fold and most of the residents were in All Saints' Parish which was about to be expanded with a substantial group of houses in the fields around Easthampstead Road - Wokingham's first new housing estate. The National School could not be expanded and it was decided to build a new school on the site of the extended town.
The local vicar was included on the new Board at Wescott as Foundation Manager. Wescott Road Council School , named after Thomas Manley Wescott the first Mayor of Wokingham cost £56,500 to build and was opened on 8th January 1906catering for 222 children from 5 to 14.
The first Head Teacher was a Mr G.M.E. Fryer. There were 11 other teachers and 222 children on the register in the first month.
They celebrated Empire Day on 24th May when the whole school had a morning of special patriotic themed lessons. The morning ended at 11.45am when they gathered together to sing the School Song and then the National Anthem........then they were all allowed to go home for a 1/2 day holiday. Later in the year (May) 45 of the children enjoyed a day trip to London, with a visit to Madame Tussauds and the London Zoological Gardens.