|Stoke by Nayland Middle School > Curriculum > Maths
Maths is a core subject in the school. In Keys Stage 2 pupils have 5 lessons of Maths each week. They take their Key Stage 2 SATs in May. In Key Stage 3 pupils have 4 lessons of Maths each week.
Pupils are set from Year 5. We have 5 sets in Years 5 and 6 and 4 sets in Years 7 and 8. Pupils may change sets as the need arises.
Maths is an important life skill. We believe that pupils at Stoke by Nayland Middle School should have an understanding and enthusiasm for Maths as:
- An essential element of communication
- A means, and an aid, towards undertaking and completing tasks in school and beyond school.
|All pupils in all year groups study the following topics, each year building on and expanding their understanding:|
Whilst doing these topics pupils will be encouraged to:
- Calculations - addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Whole numbers, decimals, fractions and algebra
- Number properties - odd, even, factors, multiples etc
- Fractions, decimals, percentages, ratio and proportion
- Place value, ordering and numbering
- Shape and space - area, perimeter, measures, 2D shapes, 3D shapes, symmetry and transformations
- Statistics and probability
- Solve problems using their thinking skills
- Challenge and question problems
- Recognise the links between topics
- Work in a variety of styles - independently, in groups and with computers
- Develop commitment and perseverance
|Learning at Home|
To help support learning at home you may find the following helpful:
Children often have a difficulty with time. Ask them how long it is until dinner or how long it is until the next holiday. Get them to tell the time using the 24 hour clock.
- Ask your children to discuss their Maths with you
- Test them on their tables
- Encourage them to seek help from their teachers
When shopping, ask them how much two or three products would cost or what the price would be when 20% is deducted.
In years 5 and 6 the website: http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/ is a great site with many games that can help to reinforce learning
Another site that will help with basic Maths concepts is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks1bitesize/
A more advanced site for reinforcement of principles is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks2bitesize/index.shtml
In Years 7 and 8 http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks3bitesize/maths/ is great for helping with homework
Pupils will be assessed throughout the year using a variety of means. Generally this will be teacher asessment based on their knowledge of the pupil's classwork, observations during lessons, interaction between teacher and pupil and informal tests.
Formal assessments take place in the last term in Year 6 when SATs are undertaken. All other year groups do optional Maths SATs at the same time.