For GCSE PE we follow the AQA 4890 syllabus. A link to the AQA website can be found below.
Short Course, Full Course or Double Award
This specification follows a unitised structure and is available as a Short Course, Full Course, or a Double Award.
All students follow the full course GCSE in year 10. They are then entered for the most suitable course at the start of year eleven depending upon their progress.
Units 1 (Short Course) and 3 (Full Course): Knowledge and Understanding for the Active Participant
- The range of physical activities and different roles that the active participant can choose from
- Linking physical activity with diet, work and rest for personal health and a balanced healthy lifestyle
- Making informed decisions about getting involved in a lifetime of healthy physical activities that suit their needs.
Units 2, 4 and 6: The Active Participant (Short Course, Full Course and Double Award)
Practical Work (Controlled Assessment)
Students choose to be assessed in their selected roles the activities listed below.
- Group 1 – Outwitting opponents
- Group 2 – Accurate replication of actions, phrases and sequences
- Group 3 – Exploring and communicating ideas, concepts and emotions
- Group 4 – Performing at maximum levels in relation to speed, height, distance, strength or accuracy
- Group 5 – Identifying and solving problems to overcome challenges of an adventurous nature
- Group 6 – Exercising safely and effectively to improve health and well-being
Unit 5: Knowledge and Understanding for the Involved Participant (Double Award)
- Skills for Effective Performance
- Testing, Training and Lifestyle Choice to Assess and Improve Performance
- Risk Assessment and Safe Practice