Les Quennevais School Opening
The school was opened on the 8th June 1966 by The Bailiff of Jersey Sir Robert Le Masurier
On the 8th June 1966, the Bailiff of Jersey, Sir Robert Le Masurier, officially opened the school by unveiling the plaque before the Governing Body, parents, pupils and staff. The President of the Education Committee, Senator John Le Marquand, then introduced the Guest of Honour, Sir John Newsom, C.B.E., who is seen here giving the opening.
Sir John Newsom, Kt., C.B.E.,was Chief Education Officer for Hertfordshire from 1940 to 1957. He has written books for children and books about children, perhaps best known of which is “The Education of Girls”. He has been Chairman of the Central Advisory Council for Education and Chairman of the Educational Advisory of the Independent Television Authority, but is probably still best known for his Chairmanship of the committee that produced “Half Our Fortune” – the Newsom Report of 1963, dealing with the education of school-children aged 13-16.
After the ceremony, visitors saw the extensive exhibition of school life set up in the building. They saw a diversity of activities in this mixed Secondary Modern School which was built for 500 pupils, and its Adult Education wing to which some 600 students already belonged.