The Choir flourished in the early nineteenth century under T A Walmisley and later George Garrett, and the magnificent new Chapel by Gilbert Scott was consecrated in 1863. Walmisley and Garrett established the basis of the present-day musical foundation. Cyril Rootham (Director of Music from 1901-1938) and Robin Orr (1938-1951) continued the tradition and with the advent of broadcasting and recording, the Choir's reputation was established from the early 1960’s under the direction of George Guest, Chapel Director of Music from 1951 until 1991. That reputation was maintained and enhanced by Dr Guest’s successors, Christopher Robinson and, thereafter, Dr David Hill, formerly Director of Music of Winchester Cathedral and himself an Organ Scholar at St John’s under George Guest’s tutelage. His successor, Mr Andrew Nethsingha, another former St John’s Organ Scholar and Director of Music of Gloucester Cathedral, continues the tradition from 2007.
The Choristers and Probationers therefore stand in an unbroken tradition of children who have sung in the Choir stalls for centuries. The Choir stalls themselves are the original stalls from the old Chapel of 1511, the foundations of which can be seen in First Court.