Unit 4: Crime and Deviance
• Different theories of crime, deviance, social order and social control.
• The social distribution of crime and deviance by age, ethnicity, gender, locality and social class, including recent patterns and trends in crime.
• Globalisation and crime in contemporary society; the mass media and crime; green crime; human rights and state crimes.
• Crime control, prevention and punishment, victims, and the role of the criminal justice system and other agencies.
• The sociological study of suicide and its theoretical and methodological implications.
• The connections between sociological theory and methods and the study of crime and deviance.