Understanding patterns and properties of shape
2. Pupils should be taught to:
- describe properties of shapes that they can see or visualise using the related vocabulary
- observe, handle and describe common 2-D and 3-D shapes; name and describe the mathematical features of common 2-D and 3-D shapes, including triangles of various kinds, rectangles including squares, circles, cubes, cuboids, then hexagons, pentagons, cylinders, pyramids, cones and spheres
- create 2-D shapes and 3-D shapes
- recognise reflective symmetry in familiar 2-D shapes and patterns.