2. To listen, understand and respond appropriately to others, pupils should be taught to:
- identify the gist of an account or key points in a discussion and evaluate what they hear
- ask relevant questions to clarify, extend and follow up ideas
- recall and re-present important features of an argument, talk, reading, radio or television programme, film
- identify features of language used for a specific purpose [for example, to persuade, instruct or entertain]
- respond to others appropriately, taking into account what they say.