Breadth of study
7. During the key stage, pupils should be taught the Knowledge, skills and understanding through the following ranges of literature and non-fiction and non-literary texts.
8. The range should include:
- a range of modern fiction by significant children's authors
- long-established children's fiction
- a range of good-quality modern poetry
- classic poetry
- texts drawn from a variety of cultures and traditions
- myths, legends and traditional stories
ICT opportunity (for 8)
Pupils could use moving image texts (for example, television, film, multimedia) to support their study of literary texts and to study how words, images and sounds are combined to convey meaning and emotion.
Non-fiction and non-literary texts
9. The range should include:
- diaries, autobiographies, biographies, letters
- print and ICT-based reference and information materials [for example, textbooks, reports, encyclopedias, handbooks, dictionaries, thesauruses, glossaries, CD-ROMs, internet]
- newspapers, magazines, articles, leaflets, brochures, advertisements.