2. Key processes
These are the essential skills and processes in design and technology that pupils need to learn to make progress.
Pupils should be able to:
- generate, develop, model and communicate ideas in a range of ways, using appropriate strategies
- respond creatively to briefs, developing their own proposals and producing specifications for products
- apply their knowledge and understanding of a range of materials, ingredients and technologies to design and make their products
- use their understanding of others’ designing to inform their own
- plan and organise activities and then shape, form, mix, assemble and finish materials, components or ingredients
- evaluate which hand and machine tools, equipment and computer-aided design/manufacture (CAD/CAM) facilities are the most appropriate to use
- solve technical problems
- reflect critically when evaluating and modifying their ideas and proposals to improve products throughout their development and manufacture.