1. To speak with confidence in a range of contexts, adapting their speech for a range of purposes and audiences, pupils should be taught to:
- use vocabulary and syntax that enables them to communicate more complex meanings
- gain and maintain the interest and response of different audiences [for example, by exaggeration, humour, varying pace and using persuasive language to achieve particular effects]
- choose material that is relevant to the topic and to the listeners
- show clear shape and organisation with an introduction and an ending
- speak audibly and clearly, using spoken standard English in formal contexts
- evaluate their speech and reflect on how it varies.